9.4.11

Rob Roy

While most people like Mel Gibson's Brave Heart (1995), I prefer the other action-drama based on Scottish history to have come out that year -- Michael Caton-Jones' Rob Roy, starring Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange.

Yes, Gibson's film was a grand epic adventure full of action and heroism, but it just never convinced me. The big scene at the end where William Wallace shouts "FREEDOM!" will give any a man goosebumps, but it just seemed too . . . too Gibsonish. The film adaptation of Robert Roy MacGregor's story was much smaller in scale, and much more personal. Both the Wallace and MacGregor characters show tremendous bravery, but Rob Roy shows something more -- a type of honour, that to me, makes bravery seem a dime-a-dozen. A pride in one's word; placing value on truth. I assume that because such things are of importance to me, are part of my value system, that this story spoke so greatly to me.

In the film Rob Roy has a kingliness about him that emanates from him. It is a type of self-knowledge that does not require him to prove himself, and therefore does not require him to fight every battle blindly. He does not cower from a battle, but he knows which are true battles based on values, and which are not. He has a calmness and a wisdom that I admire. Similarly his wife, Mary MacGregor, has an admirable strength about her. There is a horrific scene of sexual violence from which Mary gets up, composes herself, and walks upright with a dignity becoming a queen. It's a scene that makes my heart stop every time I see it.

I just admired the inner-character of these characters. I loved the way this husband and wife respected and loved each other. As an adolescent, it showed me a type of being -- a type of man, a type of husband, a type of father -- I wish to be, and it showed me the type of wife and marriage I hoped for. (Back in the day when I still hoped for such things.)

1 comment:

George Hugo said...

I heartily agree with your sentiments. I watched this movie years ago, but the things that you mention are the same things that I remember - a man who loved one woman faithfully, courageously and with honour. Something that stirs up a desire in my heart to do the same.